Date:      4 Apr 2000 22:53:19 +0200
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unicode on FreeBSD

Alex Belits <abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us> wrote:

>   I have just asked, who will benefit from it. No one answered "I will" --

I WILL.

I want to be able to mention Henry Charri{e grave}re and
Stanis{l stroke}aw Lem in a single document and spell those names
correctly. Actually, that's a real world example. I already do on a web
page, and of course this is only possible because of the underlying
Unicode character set of HTML.

I want to be able to give a book title in Cyrillic or Greek.

I want to be able to quote from _Beowulf_.

I *desperately* want to use IPA rather than various ad-hoc ASCII
transcriptions.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de