Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 1997 05:53:19 +0000 ()
From:      "Greg K. Cagle" <greg@lightningweb.com>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   adding RAID to the OS without re-partitioning

I plan on adding a RAID disk array to my existing server.  Ther server has
three HDD's in it now, with "/" as one, "/usr/" as another, and a spare
that's partitioned as "/scratch/".

The disk array will be an independent unit, and will hook up to the
external port on my Adaptec 2940UW.  The company (Baydel) says that the
array will appear as one large volume to FreeBSD.

My question:  How do I include the new array as part of the filesystem,
without re-installing?  I know I can make those choices when I first
install the OS, but can I add a partition now, without messing up
anything?  I want to end up with the large RAID as my "/usr/" partition.

Thanks for suggestions,

Greg

ps I have 2.1.5 on a Pentium Pro 200 with 128MB ram.

 Greg K. Cagle - The Chief -  Lightningweb
       http://www.lightningweb.com