Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 1999 11:37:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM (Will Andrews)
Cc:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass), freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG (freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG)
Subject:   Re: Securelevel 3 ant setting time

> On 20-Aug-99 Brett Glass wrote:
> > I looked at the man page for xntpd once, and walked away (well,
> > VIRTUALLY walked away) scratching my head. It was totally opaque.
> > There was no simple information about how to synchronize with the NIST
> > every so often; also, it appeared that one needed to leave a large,
> > expensive daemon running all the time. So, I went with ntpdate, which
> > was simple and easy to understand (and which got out of the way after
> > it adjusted the clock). The system with the worst clock drifts no more
> > than 5 minutes every 12 hours -- and that, I suspect, is mainly due to
> > busy-waits with interrupts off in the ATAPI driver.
>
> Simple xntpd:
>
> # echo "server    time.nist.gov" > /etc/ntp.conf

Please attempt to find a local lower stratum 2 or 3 clock closer to
you network wise.  Call your ISP and ask if they have xntpd running
some place, >50% of them do.  You'll get less jitter over a shorter
set of network hops.  It also reduces the very small load on the
large stratum 1 clocks.

Please read the xntpd FAQ.  You should always check it for the closest
public ntp server.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX - (RWG25)                    rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net