Date:      Mon, 28 Dec 1998 13:48:29 +1100 (EST)
From:      Shigetoh Kumagai <shigetoh@zip.com.au>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Console frozen when X-server exited

Hi,
I'm running FreeBSD Release 2.2.8 with XFree86 3.3.2.

This afternoon, X-server exited when system run out of swap space. Then
the console got frozen. There is no response by pressing any key on
keyboard. I tried ALT+CTL+1, ALT+[1234], ALT+CTL+DEL combinations, too,
with no success.

However I can telnet to the machine. So I checked the /var/log/messages,
and here is the log.

Dec 28 12:37:46 summer /kernel: swap_pager: out of swap space
Dec 28 12:37:49 summer /kernel: pid 263 (XF86_SVGA), uid 0, was killed:
out of swap space

I cannot start X-Server on the console since there is no response from
the keyboard. Does anyone know how to bring back console and keyboard
alive without rebooting the machine?

------> Sail OZ
Shigetoh Kumagai