Date:      Mon, 29 Jan 2001 22:48:50 -0600
From:      Marius Strom <marius@marius.org>
To:        Richard Ward <mh@neonsky.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BIND 9.1 woes

According to bind-9.1.0/README:

                On FreeBSD systems, the server logs error messages
                like "fcntl(8, F_SETFL, 4): Inappropriate ioctl for
                device".  This is due to a bug in the FreeBSD
                /dev/random device.  The bug has been reported
                to the FreeBSD maintainers.  Versions of OpenBSD
                prior to 2.8 have a similar problem.

As far as your -g question, it seems -g support has been deprecated,
although I can't find any confirmation of this in BIND9 docs. The new
functionality of -g is to (according to the new manpage):

     -g      run named in the foreground and force all logging to stderr.

On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 09:43:03PM -0500, Richard Ward wrote:
> I just downloaded the BIND 9.1 tarball after hearing about the chaos with previous versions. I did run into something odd that I can't quite figure out, it's also mentioned in the 9.1 documentation and I'm sure some one knows the answer. I managed to start BIND fine, yet digging through the logs I ran into this line that makes me wonder.
>
> entropy.c:948: unexpected error:
> fcntl(8, F_SETFL, 4): Inappropriate ioctl for device
>
> Could some one shed light on this "problem"? Also, when trying to start BIND 9.1, it will start fine as 'named -g', though when I try to 'named -u bind -g bind' (so it runs as that user/group) it doesn't launch to the background, and fails to start period. Any ideas? (Sorry for all the questions, I just moved from 8.X and am still getting used to the changes/features)
>
> Thanks.
> Richard Ward
> mh@maKintosh.com

Marius Strom <marius@marius.org>
Professional Geek/Unix System Administrator
http://www.marius.org/marius.pgp 0x55DE53E4

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a mini-van full of DLT
tapes traveling down the highway at 65 miles per hour..."
	-Andrew Tanenbaum, "Computer Networks"