Date:      Sun, 04 May 2003 16:11:32 -0700
From:      Tim Kientzle <kientzle@acm.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Floppy Support

Terry Lambert wrote:

> Tim Kientzle wrote:
>>I suppose it's time to modify the boot loader to
>>load a single kernel image from multiple floppies.
>
> It can load drivers from a seperate location ...as long as the
> separate location has a driver that allows you to access it.

Yes, but....
   a) This requires user expertise; they have to
      know what driver to load.
   b) That still leaves a lengthy list of items that
      must be in the single kernel image; how long will
      it be before even the most minimal kernel no longer
      fits on a floppy?

Most users will find it simpler to just follow
the prompts:  "Insert Floppy #4 and press [ENTER]"

>>That, at least, would end the continual release
>>breakage: the release builder could just create
>>as many floppy images as necessary.
>
> You can't do this and do the non-El Torito floppy-on-CDROM
> boot hack, since the BIOS will only fake up a single floppy.

This is true, although I thought BTX could read
BIOS-supported CD-ROMs.  That might provide a way out.
If BTX could read and concatenate several sources into
a single kernel image in memory, then the floppy-emulated
CD boot could pull the remaining pieces from CD; the floppy
installer could pull the remaining pieces from subsequent
floppies.

Tim