Date:      Sat, 4 Sep 1999 17:14:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      john holland <johnbsd@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cable modem 2-interface setup with natd?

After a bout with DSL that didn't go very well
(unreliable) I decided to try cable modem again as a
way to the Net. It's gotten cheaper and works well for
one computer.

Their setup is a bit odd- I'm told that it's because
they can't receive data on the cable (coax). So you
have to use a modem to dial in, but returning data
comes through the cable modem.

They don't tell you what they're up to, but you set up
a NIC at 10.0.0.1 to talk to the cable modem, and the
telephone modem does the usual PPP stuff. So what I
want is to natd this access to other computers, and
had planned to do so on 192.168.1.1. But my computer
on 192.168.1.2 can't get through!

my interfaces look like this:

default            24.239.16.8        UGSc       26
   18     tun0
10                 link#3             UC          0
    0      ep0
10.0.0.1           localhost          UGHS        0
    0      lo0
10.0.0.14          0:a0:73:13:8a:60   UHLW        1
    2      ep0    894
24.239.16.8        n06h3097.ex-pressn UH         27
    0     tun0
localhost          localhost          UH          2
    1      lo0
192.168.1          link#1             UC          0
    0      ed1
192.168.1.1        localhost          UGHS        0
    0      lo0

I suspect I need to do something tricky with the natd
options, ie NOT just divert all from any to any via
tun0 or ep0, but possibly inport and outport settings
as well.

Any help would be appreciated.

john holland