Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 1995 07:03:35 -0600
From:      kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
To:        marino.ladavac@aut.alcatel.at
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Low end PS laser, or inkjet/bubblejet

    >> So the card must recognize two different printer names in order
    >> to do two different kinds of processing ... hmmmm.  Thanks for
    >> posting that!

    Alby> No.  The difference is really that one uses text protocol
    Alby> (rp=text), and the other raw protocol (rp=raw).  That's the
    Alby> way I understand the rp print capability.

In LPD, there is no ``text protocol'' or ``raw protocol.''
>From printcap(5):

   rp         str       ``lp''                 remote printer name argument

The card is enforcing a particular interpretation of incoming jobs by
using a particular printer name on its end.

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory, Boulder Colorado USA

I bought my brother some gift-wrap for Christmas.  I took it to the
Gift Wrap Department and told them to wrap it, but in a different
print so he would know when to stop unwrapping. -- Steven Wright