Date:      Sat, 11 Nov 1995 17:06:37 GMT
From:      Mark Valentine <mark@linus.demon.co.uk>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch), mark@grondar.za (Mark Murray)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lint won't bootstrap...

> From: J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
> Date: Wed 8 Nov, 1995
> Subject: Re: Lint won't bootstrap...

> Does anybody have a good idea on how to make bootstrapping for the
> people as easy as possible?  The biggest problem is that you can
> compile the llib subdir only after first succesfully installing from
> the xlint subdir, so a running version of lint(1) is around.

A slightly messy way would be to have lint grow a -B option (like gcc's),
symlink lint1 and lint2 into xlint's obj directory (on the fly), and invoke
the just-built lint as:

   ../xlint/xlint -B../xlint/xlint/ -Cposix ${.ALLSRC}
   ../xlint/xlint -B../xlint/xlint/ -Cstdc ${.ALLSRC}

A slightly less messy way (without the symlinks) might be to have options to
explicitly specify the pathnames of lint1 and lint2 on the command line, or
via environment variables.

By the way, I'd bootstrap other stuff this way too, where it's important
to pick up a current source tree version rather than a (possibly older or
for-another-target) version.  (Like config for the kernel build...)

For multiple source trees to work, I prefer self-building source trees to
multiple installation trees.

		Mark.