Date:      Sun, 29 Sep 2002 01:44:19 +1000
From:      Greg Lane <gregory.lane@anu.edu.au>
To:        andreas@apsfilter.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Fixes to apsfilter for hpijs deskjet printers

G'day Andreas (and FreeBSD ports list members),

(I am not subscribed to ports)

Currently apsfilter is broken if you use the latest hpijs driver.
Although not complete and not very well tested (I only have
a single deskjet 930c) I believe the fixes below will apply in a
similar fashion for all hpijs printers.

Below are two diffs I applied to the main apsfilter script and
driver/ijs/DESKJET_920 to get my printer to work. Without these
changes the processes just hang and the print queue is left
clogged. I am running FreeBSD 4.7RC with a completely up to
date ports tree from last week. There is an outstanding PR
(not from me) for this from April 2002:  ports/37085.

The problem began with HPIJS 1.0.3 which changed the -sIjsParams
switch and added the compulsory -dIjsUseOutputFD switch.

Since hpijs and apsfilter are now separate ports it is easy to
end up with a too new hpijs port and break apsfilter.

I didn't put any logic in to check the version of hpijs, just
made it work for newer versions. Sorry I don't have time to
make a more complete set of intelligent patches. The second diff
would have to be applied in a similar fashion to all the driver
files in the ijs directory. If no-one takes this up in the next
month I could make proper patches after I get back from a
trip I am about to make.

Cheers,
Greg

router# diff /usr/local/share/apsfilter/bin/apsfilter /usr/local/share/apsfilter/bin/apsfilter.bck
2009c2009
<               GS_FEATURES="$GS_FEATURES -sDeviceModel='${PRINTER#ijs/}' -sIjsServer=hpijs -dIjsUseOutputFD"
---
>               GS_FEATURES="$GS_FEATURES -sDeviceModel='${PRINTER#ijs/}' -sIjsServer=hpijs"

(Note that this change is probably more sensibly made to the SETUP script
if I understand how apsfilter works. I didn't test this.)

router# diff /usr/local/share/apsfilter/driver/ijs/DESKJET_920 /usr/local/share/apsfilter/driver/ijs/DESKJET_920.bck
8c8
<                                       params="Quality:Quality=2,Quality:ColorMode=2,Quality:MediaType=2,Quality:PenSet=2" ;;
---
>                                       params="Quality=2,ColorMode=2,MediaType=2,PenSet=2" ;;
10c10
<                                       params="Quality:Quality=0,Quality:ColorMode=2,Quality:MediaType=0,Quality:PenSet=2" ;;
---
>                                       params="Quality=0,ColorMode=2,MediaType=0,PenSet=2" ;;
16c16
<               params="Quality:Quality=0,Quality:ColorMode=0,Quality:MediaType=0,Quality:PenSet=2" ;;
---