Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 00:48:23 -0400
From:      Bob Johnson <stest033@garbonzo.hos.ufl.edu>
To:        swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Questions in Subject Lines (was: Is ther any debugger for c and c++ programs in freebsd4.4?)

On Wednesday 09 October 2002 04:36 pm, Gary W. Swearingen appears to have=
 written:
> Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu> writes:
> > Please put your question in the body of your message and limit the
> > subject to jsut a title for your posting.
> > It will make it much easier for people to read your question and
> > to make a helpful response.
>
> I find it easier to read one question in the subject line and not
> have to read something (restated in question form?) in the body.

I don't.  If you are asking for my help, it seems like good strategy=20
to do what is easiest for me.  Otherwise I'm likely to skip to the=20
next question and help that person.  It's your decision.

> Please explain your complaint further.  What is the problem?  Do
> people not read Subject lines?  I'm suprised (and somewhat embarassed
> for FreeBSD) to see 3 out of 4 responders jump on the guy about
> something that seems to me good, or at least no worse than trivially
> non-standard.

Not all email programs display the subject line prominently.  In fact,=20
I used to use one otherwise excellent reader that nearly hid the=20
subject line.  And it certainly slows me down to have to jump back=20
and forth from the body of the text to the header information to figure=20
out what the real question is.

I generally don't bother to answer questions that exist only in the=20
subject line.  It is a pretty strong indication that someone is going=20
to need more hand-holding than I have time for.

- Bob