Date:      Fri, 18 May 2018 18:14:12 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi26-fbsd@yahoo.com>
To:        Mark Johnston <markj@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: enabling kernel dump options in GENERIC

On 2018-May-18, at 8:11 AM, Mark Johnston <markj at reeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 06:14:50AM -0700, Mark Millard wrote:
>> On 2018-May-17, at 11:17 PM, Mark Johnston <markj at FreeBSD.org> =
wrote:
>>=20
>>>=20
>>> What is the call stack?
>>=20
>> I'll have to induce the failure, take a picture of
>> the screen that results, and hand type in the
>> material for the fairly modern backtrace (-r333594).
>> I will not be able to do this until later today.
>>=20
>> The bugzilla report has the old backtrace. I did not
>> quote all the material from that report in the above.
>> So there is something to compare against once I
>> supply a modern one.
>=20
> My apologies, I missed the fact that the backtrace was included in =
that
> PR. Since the problem still occurs and apparently manifests with a
> similar backtrace, it wouldn't be useful to retest. I'm afraid I don't
> have any suggestions on how to make progress here. Given that the new
> options give only a small increase in the kernel size, I'm still
> inclined to enable them on powerpc64 for consistency with other
> architectures.

Seems reasonable. May be there are other powerpc64 contexts
that can test the updates.

Useful or not, I've updated bugzilla 214598 with a backtrace
from head -r333594 and have updated its one-line summary to
reference -r333594 .

Looks like I missed a 0 in:

0xe7ced0: at 0xc00000006ab17fc

it should be:

0xe7ced0: at 0xc000000006ab17fc

I've no clue why this address has no symbol.

I showed more of the stack this time.

At least now the old and new can be compared. That
is better than forcing folks to rely on my earlier
quick look.

>> Also: in about a week I'll lose access to the PowerMacs
>> for an unknown period of time (weeks? months?).
>>=20

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com