Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 09:29:50 -0700
From:      Chris Fedde <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>
To:        Bob Van Valzah <Bob@WhiteBarn.Com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tools for Capturing/Cloning System Configuration?

Bob Van Valzah writes:
 +---------------
 | Is there a tool to capture the configuration of a running machine so
 | that it can be easily cloned or rebuilt from a new release? Is anybody
 | working on one?
 +---------------

I'm not aware of a tool that specifically does this. Things like
cfengine, rdist and rsync can help but a fully automatic system
might cause problems. I have had good luck with a grass roots
approach.  First I make a native install.  then I

    find / -type f | xargs md5 > /usr/signatures

on that system.  Next I go to the configured and operating production
system, take it out of production and run the find pipe on it.
Now I move both signature files to my work station where I use
sort, diff and comm to come up with a list of moves, adds and
changes for the production system.  I turn this list into a manifest
for pax and synch the files to the production "master" using rsync

Then I tune and watch the production "master" system.  Finaly when
everything seems cool I use rsync to move the changes across the
production systems in a controlled way using rsync.

hope this helps
chris

__
Chris Fedde	  <chris@fedde.littleton.co.us>