Date:      Tue, 19 Dec 1995 00:55:54 -0500
From:      Benjamin Lewis <blewis@vet.vet.purdue.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ppp

> On Mon, 18 Dec 1995, Paul Richards wrote:
>
> > Whatever the cause, dial-on-demand is broken and there's at least two
> > of us seeing the problem.
>
> 	dial-on-demand, user land ppp, is solid for me.  i am running
> 2.1R with a sportster 14.4 and asus sp3g on-board uarts.

Just to add another weirdness to the pile, iijppp doesn't do demand dialing
for me either, but in a different way than I've seen other people mention.

I can use it to do a regular dialin with no problem... well, I did have to
do a bit of hacking on the source to get it to work 100%.  My login script
is extremely long (I have to log in to an annex, log into a computer, bounce
back to the annex to set it to do 8 bits properly, bounce back to the computer
and start up SLiRP), and it wasn't sending the last few characters, and thus
failed to actually start up the PPP process.  I hacked the length of the
array that contains the script (was a long time ago, don't remember details),
recompiled, and all was peachy keen for vanilla usage.

I could type "ppp vet" and it would happily start the ppp process and
everything was great.  However, if I tried "ppp -demand vet" and sent a
packet, it would dial up, log in, start the remote ppp, and core dump.
At that point I gave up hacking on it, and went with pppd.

I figured (still do) that either I broke something when I hacked the
array length, or that some other weirdness peculiar to my system is
responsible, especially as I didn't see hordes of complaints on the
newsgroups and mailing lists.  Now, I think that maybe my problem might
just be an exaggerated version of other people's difficulties.  Perhaps
the extra long script is just tickling a bug a little harder or something.

Since my C coding skills were just about exhuasted by changing [512] to
[1024] or whatever it was, I can't be of any more help than sending copies
of my config files to interested parties.  Oh, the original ppp binary I
had was from the last 2.1-SNAP, as is the rest of my userland stuff, but
I went and snagged the 2.1.0-RELEASE iijppp source code for my hacking.

-Ben "waiting for a kernel written in TCL so *I* can hack on it  :)" Lewis

--
Benjamin Lewis (blewis@vet.vet.purdue.edu)