Date:      Tue, 4 Jul 1995 23:01:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Paul LaFollette <lafollet@andante.cis.temple.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   1.1.5 -> 2.0.5 upgrade

School year is over, finally no students are dependant on my 1.1.5 system,
and it is time to upgrade.  I'm sure this has been answered, but I haven't
been able to find it.

I plan to back up everything of course, but is there any way to preserve
/usr/local/src and /usr/users during the upgrade process? Or should I just
bite the bullet, tar them over to another machine, and then untar them
when I am done?

What stuff in /etc am I gonna forget to save?

What stuff elsewhere am I gonna forget to save?

Do I correctly assume that it is useless to save the authorization file
and I will need to addusers everyone all over again?

Do I correctly assume that I will need to rebuild all my current applications?

Sorry to be asking "obvious" questions.  If you point me to the proper
FAQ I'll happily rtfm, but so far I haven't found it.

Paul

PS. Using FreeBSD remains a joy and a delight.  Thank you all for the
time and energy you contribute to it.