Date:      Thu, 07 Dec 1995 19:11:43 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: sysctl status right now, and plea for testing.

> > I don't quite understand how devconf and sysctl go together..
> > do they?
>
> Well, they do and they don't.  Poul-Henning doesn't like the way I
> designed devconf, and if I don't do something quickly he'll probably
> break it completely and add his own thing.  This is a needless
> duplication of effort.

Well my detailed position on this has been moved to a discussion in core now.

The short version of my position for the (probably few) remaining
readers of this thread is that Garrett has abandoned the devconf
stuff so long, have given no docs of any kind and no help after
repeated requests that I consider the code dead.  As to the
merit of the actual design, I cannot judge.  If I had either doc
or working code I could decide, until then though, it's just
dead code for me.  I generally am in favour of removing dead code.

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.