Date:      Wed,  7 Mar 2001 17:30:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Michael Richards" <michael@fastmail.ca>
To:        gallatin@cs.duke.edu
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AS 1200 Install Problems

--------------Boundary-00=_6IMUU9HAMK8NTT4D7TH0

>> Since I dd'd the image onto the hard drive, how can I just
>> replace the boot loader?
>
> b) mount that hard disk on a freebsd machine & replace the loader.

Ok. I didn't realize this image was a complete filesystem that could
be mounted. I replaced boot1 and loader. The machine does the same
thing, only this time it shows up as SRM boot disk revision 1.1.

Something worth noting, below the memory available it has the | that
twirls a bit and stops. After it says:
device dka600.6.0.1.1 no longer valid

Wait about 5 minutes and it will try to boot. It give the little 10
second thing where you can hit enter to boot immediately and then
tries to boot. Then it starts scrolling debug info repeatedly and I
can't stop it to read. I presume it's some sort of kernel barf. It
did the same thing with the other version of the boot loader (I was
playing with it last night).

From this I can only guess that it reads part of the image from disk
and can't read any more. After the system times out, it believes it
has it all and tries to boot, then fails when it hits the part it
didn't read.

-Michael