Date:      Mon, 18 May 2009 19:15:14 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To:        tim@bishnet.net
Cc:        Doug Poland <doug@polands.org>, freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org, Greg Byshenk <freebsd@byshenk.net>
Subject:   Re: [Call For Testing] VirtualBox for FreeBSD! take2

In article <20090518155613.GT86061@carrick.bishnet.net> you write:
>On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 08:38:18AM -0500, Doug Poland wrote:

>> Working for me with a fresh cvsup of 7.2-STABLE (17 May 09).
>> Installing a 7.2-RELEASE amd64 guest as I write this.
>
>Works for me, but I've not been able to get a 64 bit guest to work. I
>get the following error when booting the installer:
>
>	CPU doesn't support long mode
>
>I think I've got all the right options set. Maybe my CPU doesn't support
>the necessary VM stuff to let a 64 bit guest work?

Yes, afaik vbox can only run amd64 guests if the host cpu has svm (amd)
or vmx (intel) and you tell vbox to use that in the guest settings.
(`Enable VT-X/AMD-V'.)  And btw, npt/ept (`Enable Nested Paging') is also
worth using if your host cpu has it, it should speed up the vm a little.

 And if you have a guest (especially amd64) that then still hangs/crashes
at boot or otherwise doesnt come up, check if the io-apic is disabled in
the guest settings and enable it...  (I think there are also older 32 bit
guests that need it disabled, otherwise the option wouldn't be there :)
- but usually its the other way around.)

>I'm also still seeing the following on loading vboxdrv:
>
>kldload: unexpected relocation type 10
>kldload: unexpected relocation type 10
>kldload: unexpected relocation type 10
>kldload: unexpected relocation type 10
>kldload: unexpected relocation type 10
>kldload: unexpected relocation type 10
>kldload: unexpected relocation type 10
>kldload: unexpected relocation type 10
>kldload: unexpected relocation type 10
>kldload: unexpected relocation type 10
>kldload: unexpected relocation type 10
>kldload: unexpected relocation type 10
>vboxdrv: fAsync=0 offMin=0x41f offMax=0x53b
>
>Are others still seeing that on amd64?

 These are caused by the in-kernel linker not properly skipping debug
symbols in klds (they are harmless, altho may waste some kernel memory),
a workaround has been committed to vbox svn in the meantime (uncommenting
an objcopy --strip-debug in Config.kmk that was already in there...)
This is btw also the reason why we have seperate foo.symbols files in
our kernel dirs which kgdb will then pick up - tho unfortunately it
doesn't seem to do that for klds in /boot/modules, at least on 7-stable.

 HTH,
	Juergen

PS: I trimmed the Cc'd lists to only -emulation...