Date:      Fri, 26 Jun 1998 14:59:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        jambi@nlanr.net
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ccd questions.

 * Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 12:44:34 -0700 (PDT)
 * From: Jambi <jambi@nlanr.net>
 *
 * Hey all,
 *   I have been trying to run a few test with ccd and squid cache.
 * Squid requires a great deal of random access and seek operations as the
 * data is spread all over the squid cache partitions.  I was planning on
 * using 3  IBM DDRS-39130W S92A connected in a chain to a 2940UW.
 * I decided to use ccd and see how it compares to just having 3 disks
 * mounted seperatly.
 * Here are the questions:
 * a) ccdconfig -v ccd0 65536 0x02 /dev/sd0c /dev/sd1c /dev/sd2c is the
 * command I use to make the device.  I can mount it then at an place on the
 * file system (say mount /dev/ccd0c /mnt) but I can't write, ls, cd or do
 * anything to that partition.  Am I missing something here?

Did you do a newfs?

 * b) when trying to look at the size of the ccd (with df -k) I see that the
 * system shows the size on one disk, not all three of them (every disk is
 * 9.1GB).  From the man page I understood that the 0x02 flag will add the
 * disks together so I was expecting to find a 27GB disk not one 9GB disk.

That means you probably have an old disklabel lying around from when
you tested your configuration with only one 9GB disk as a ccd.

Delete the old disklabel and try again.  The commands should be
something like:

===
# cat > /etc/ccd.conf
ccd0 65536 0x02 /dev/sd0c /dev/sd1c /dev/sd2c
^D
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rsd0c bs=512 count=20         --- *
# ccdconfig -Cv
# newfs /dev/rccd0c
===

The command marked with "*" may delete your whole partition table if
you are using "dedicated" disks.  (I don't know since I don't use them
-- conventional disks are safe as long as you leave a few sectors
before the BSD partition.)  In which case, you may need to
re-disklabel sd0 before you run the ccdconfig command.

Satoshi