Date:      Thu, 04 Dec 2003 15:19:22 -0500
From:      "HOLLOW, CHRISTOPHER" <christopher.hollow@cgi.com>
To:        "Dominick DiMantova" <dominick@cyberspace.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Obtaining the unix o/s

> All I need to do is burn the iso images to my CD's and I've got the
> entgire freebsd unix o/s?

Yes.  The whole show.  Including the current packages/ports collection.

> After that, is it going to be quite a process to
> install the software, or am I better off spending 60 bucks and get the
> CD's from a retailer?

The installaion process is the same whether you download and burn the .iso as if you buy the retail CD.  Either way, expect it to be "quite a porcess."  =)  The retail box ships with CDs, documentation and some sweet packaging.  The online Handbook http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ is a dynamite reference and should be ample to get you up and running.  But...being the good BSD user that you are, you can sleep well at night knowing that a portion of the proceeds of your retail FreeBSD purchase ended up in the coffers of the development team.

Chris