Date:      Sat, 19 Sep 1998 06:57:43 +1200 (NZST)
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>
To:        Paul Stewart <paul@kawartha.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Backing Up Entire Server

On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Paul Stewart wrote:

> HI there... is there a way to run "tar cvfz backup.tgz *" from the root
> directory of a machine but have the backup.tgz file not build on that
> server?  We really need a good backup solution and this seems to be the
> way.  But many of the servers don't have the space needed to store a
> backup file that size until we ftp it off the server.  I've seen
> uncompressing done something like this before and can't remember what was
> used.

ssh remote.host tar -czf - -C / > remote.host.tar.gz

Alternatively the same thing can be accomplished with less security using
socket (see ports).  If you need to connect from the windows machine, it
might be easier to implement something this way.

On the machine you're backing up type this command from a root shell.

socket -p "tar -czf - -C /"  -s 12345

To retrieve the backup type

socket localhost 12345 > remote.host.tar.gz

Or you could write a short perl script using IO::Socket::INET to do the
job, which might get around this instance of the awkwardness of using
windows.

Do look into other approaches.  A .tar.gz file might be easier to extract
files from using windows if that's important, but otherwise you'd be
better to use dump so you get incremental backups.  By dump'ing to stdout
you can use this exactly like tar in the above examples, meaning that your
windows machine doesn't need to know anything about dump.  I haven't
looked at Amanda (see ports), but for backing up a whole network of
servers it's probably worth a look.

Andrew McNaughton