Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 2002 18:12:24 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@geekpunk.net>
To:        "Andrew P. Lentvorski" <bsder@allcaps.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Non-standard root filesystems

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, Andrew P. Lentvorski wrote:

>I've bumped into this three times now.  Twice as part of the vinum stuff
>and a third as part of a solid-state media problem.  In the case of vinum,
>I actually had a client choose a Linux system because its rootfs is
>software RAIDable.

Not being up on the latest in FreeBSD's software RAID I cannot comment
on how evolved it might be.  However, if nobody here can help you I'd
suggest looking at NetBSD's RAIDframe, which has very good support for
software RAIDed root filesystems.  I myself am of the persuasion that
the only particularly good reason to make / a RAID filesystem is to add
fault tolerance, which you don't /really/ get with software RAID.  I
tend to go with SCSI hardware RAID cards doing RAID1 mirroring for my
server system drives.

Brandon D. Valentine
--
"Time to resign from the human race, wipe those tears
from your lovely face.  Baby, wave to the man in the