Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2001 18:42:41 EST
From:      CL1787@aol.com
To:        tdn@stack.ru
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Router based on FreeBSD.

In a message dated 12/11/2001 6:57:50 AM Eastern Standard Time, tdn@stack.ru
writes:

> I'm 99 % sure that the bottleneck is router.
>  As for other hardware, router connected to 3Com 3300 XM which is devided
>  on VLANs.
>  The most loading on two 100 Mb interfaces (backbone interfaces). Network
>  becomes slow when their loading 4 MB/s on each other (about 5500
>  interrupts on each, is not this very high), other interfaces have stable
>
>  As for routing table:
>  root[xxx]:/etc/> netstat -rn | wc -l
>       638
>
>  > Tolpanov, Dmitry wrote:
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >I've got a very complex problem so every advice is appreciated.
>  > >I've got a router on 4.3-STABLE FreeBSD. It's got hardware
>  > (in short):
>  > >- Intel Pentium III 500 MHz
>  > >- NIC 3Com 10/100 in 100baseTX <full-duplex>
>  > >- NIC 3Com 10/100 in 100baseTX <full-duplex>
>  > >- NIC 3Com 10/100 in 100baseTX <full-duplex>
>  > >- NIC 3Com 900 Combo 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex>
>  > >- NIC 3Com 900 Combo 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex>

First of all, 3coms are the wrong choice in FreeBSD. One issue is that you
have 5 devices on your bus (which will seriously slow the bus by creating bus
contention), and there are also serious problems with the 3COM driver. At
minimum you'll want to disable "stats"...with a lot of traffic the stats
counters overflow regularly and cause serious overhead. At high speeds it
will actually take over the machine...comment out the line that sets
XL_CMD_STATS_ENABLE and see what happens. You dont need them...STATS is a
"neat" feature that has no place in a serious router.

Also, the 900 is less efficient than the 900B...but I dont know by how much.

DB