Date:      Wed, 6 Feb 2002 11:12:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      Weldon S Godfrey 3 <weldon@excelsus.com>
To:        Greg Lane <gregory.lane@anu.edu.au>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Victor Grey <victor@customdynamic.net>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Is this evidence of a break-in attempt?

But isn't slowing down the name of the game?  If someone is good enough
and they want to break in bad enough, they are going to get in.  Nothing
replaces consistent security monitoring and investigation.

The more hoops you put up, the greater the likelihood you will be able to
catch it, stop it before it goes too far, or discourage them,
and/or circumvent the less knowledgeable (which accounts for more attempts
than the knowledgeable).

It is the same as your car and house.  If a thief is bold enough, no
matter how many alarms you have, that won't stop them.  It doesn't mean
you should give up and leave keys in the ignition :)

If memory serves me right, sometime around Tomorrow, Greg Lane told me: