Date:      Wed, 15 Aug 2001 13:27:36 -0700
From:      "Jason McReynolds" <mcreynja@mailbox.orst.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Samba box as PDC - cannot join domain

I'm rather new to FreeBSD and Samba and I'm running samba 2.2.1a and
trying to set up my samba server as the PDC in a small network with
several windows 2000 workstations. I do not have any existing windows
NT PDCs running. I have read the online documentation, and Samba
Unleashed. I have configured smb.conf as follows (like the
instructions at samba.org specify):

[global]
netbios name = mail
workgroup = borderpatrolclan.net

os level = 64
preferred master = Yes
domain master = Yes
local master = Yes

security = user

encrypt passwords = Yes

domain logons = Yes

password server = *

logon path = \\mail\profiles\%u
logon drive = H:
logon home = \\mail\home\%u

[netlogon]
path = /usr/local/samba/lib/netlogon
writeable = no
write list = root,jason

[profiles]
path = /export/smb/ntprofile
writeable = yes
create mask = 0600
directory mask = 0700

[homes]
read only = No
browseable = No

[web]
path = /usr/local/www/data
read only = No
guest ok = No

[mail]
path = /
read only = No
borwseable = Yes
guest ok = No

I have created the machine trust account and added it to the smbpasswd
file. Everything is in order according to what I have read (and, the
shares work fine).
When I try to join the domain using the following command I get the
following error:

mail# smbpasswd -j borderpatrolclan.net
2001/08/15 13:31:22 : change_trust_account_password: Failed to change
password for domain BORDERPATROLCLAN.NET.
Unable to join domain BORDERPATROLCLAN.NET.

I have tried a number of different ways to solve this problem but have
been unsuccessful. I hope someone can help me figure this out (what I
have done wrong or haven't done). I'll provide more info if needed (I
hope I have been thorough enough.

Thanks,

Jason