Date:      Wed, 13 Aug 1997 20:24:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Bradley E. Reynolds" <breynolds@harborcom.net>
To:        Jeff Aitken <jaitken@aitken.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: post-break-in checklist?

> As far as FreeBSD goes, I've got the CDs and know about mtree, but
> I'm looking for a more generic "these are the sorts of things to
> look for if you suspect a security violation" just to be sure I'm
> not overlooking anything.  (FWIW, the machine(s) which were
> compromised have been reinstalled from scratch anyway).
>
> Additionally, where might I find a list of all "security" issuse
> since 2.2.2-R was released?  I looked in
>
> 	ftp://freebsd.org/pub/CERT/advisories
>
> but only turned up 4 advisories from 1997, all of which were patched
> prior to the release of 2.2.2.

Well, try looking up the BUGTRAQ archives and be sure to look for things
like BSD 4.4 also (you may have been looking for 2.2.2 or something like
that).  As for finding an intruder, look for setuid root shells and the
like.

Bradley Reynolds
breynolds@harborcom.net ber@cwru.edu
PGP Fingerprint: 73 17 77 08 8A 72 DB 45 76 28 C5 5A 97 52 26
PGP Public Key:
http://www.harborcom.net/~breynolds/pgp.html