Date:      Sat, 27 Nov 1999 02:21:18 +0100
From:      Matthias Buelow <mkb@altair.mayn.de>
To:        Mikhail Evstiounin <evstiounin@adelphia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: latest gcc?

Mikhail Evstiounin wrote:

>><pedantic> Of course you can't use this compiler to compile the kernel
>>since I don't think it would be possible to compile the kernel with a C++
>>compiler. </pedantic>
>
>Before be too pedantic you should learn a little bit more about gcc
>and egcs (sorry for sarcasm). GCC is something like a "all in one"
>compiler. As a matter of fact, g++ is a wrapper around gcc. Moreover,

Well.. that's why I tagged the statement as pedantic; basically
the "compiler" is of course the gcc software in its entirety.
Technically speaking, the compiler driver gcc calls one of the three
different Gnu compilers that come with FreeBSD
(/usr/libexec/{cc1,cc1obj,cc1plus}, for the first pass of the C
compiler, Objective C and C++ compiler, respectively), depending on
what it was fed and what options it got passed.  These compilers may
share various stages of compilation (probably preprocessing,
optimization and code generation backend) so it's certainly right
that they're not independent.

mkb