Date:      Sat, 25 May 1996 09:15:50 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jeff Hupp <jhupp@black.gensys.com>
To:        cjl@qnet.com (Chris Linstruth)
Cc:        rlyon@ozemail.com.au, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD: SCSI hangs, panics and other failures as nntp serv

Chris Linstruth shaped the electrons to the following form:
: Are you processing 200000 Usenet articles a day?  And supporting
: readers?

	Yes and yes.

$uptime
 9:09AM  up 18 days, 10:55, 1 user, load averages: 1.22, 1.50, 1.78
$readers
22
$

:
: I'm certain we wouldn't be seeing any problems if the load wasn't
: so stressful.  At least not as often.
:
: It's not that the system doesn't run.  It's been up almost 4 days on
: this boot.  A crash is inevitable though.
:

	The above system is a 486DX-100 with 32 Meg RAM, running 2.1-STABLE.
It has a 20 Gig array on an adaptec VLB controller using the CCD driver.
It's only been up 18 days because the other sysadmin hit the wrong reset
button 18 day, 10 hours, and 55 minute ago....

	If you are crashing that often, you aren't running -STABLE, you have
something misconfigured in your BIOS chip set settings, or you have some
problem hardware.

--
Windows '95 ~ Never has so much done so little for so many.
Jeff Hupp <Jhupp@gensys.com> <http://gensys.com>;