Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 2004 00:38:56 -0800
From:      Will Prater <lists-wp@mercurycloud.net>
To:        "Subhro" <subhro@fusemail.com>
Cc:        'FreeBSD Questions' <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: sshd crashing server

Subhro,

On Jan 6, 2004, at 9:36 PM, Subhro wrote:

> Hi Will,
> READ the Handbook :-). After you cvsup
> <read /usr/src/UPDATING> for some special installation instructions
> <cd /usr/src>
> <make buildworld> <<<<===Start building the world i.e. the new binaries
> <edit the kernel config file> <<<==== Here is the custom kernel stuff
> <make buildkernel KERNCONF=your_kernel_name> <<<===== Here goes the
> kernel
> building
> <make installkernel KERNCONF=your_kernel_name> <<<===Installed the
> kernel
> here
> <reboot into single user> <<<====mind it its single user. The box
> boots here
> on the new kernel
> <mergermaster -p>
> <make installworld> <<<<===Here goes your new system
> <reboot> <<<===this time a normal boot

Yes, I have run over the handbook, I was just a bit worried about the
crashing server. Thanks for the run down.

I do not have physical access to the server. Can one make installworld
running in multiuser mode, if one had shut down any active daemons and
locked out the users?

Thanks for any advice.

> If your system gives you a login prompt then the steps to follow are
> <dance>
> <coffee>
> <girl_friend>
> <get a ass thrashing from boss>
> <get back to work> :-)

hurray!

> And yes u can cvsuo to current as well as stable tree. If you want to
> go to
> stable, then use /usr/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile.
> Do read through that file before you run it.

Great.

--will