Date:      Wed, 1 Sep 2004 13:47:45 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Joerg Pulz <Joerg.Pulz@frm2.tum.de>
Cc:        freebsd-ia64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: another 5.3-BETA2 problem

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 06:57:14PM +0200, Joerg Pulz wrote:

> attached you can find 4 logs which show everything.
> after looking at this captures, i think the problem is somerwhere in the
> ata subsystem.
> the curios is that a normal boot seems to partially work and a boot -v
> behaves completely different.
> if the ata stuff is broken for my system, i think this could be the source
> of the "html" stuff i saw once if garbled information was read. this would
> also explain the "segmentation faults" and "exited on signal 4" etc.

Can you try setting the hw.ata.ata_dma tunable to 0 in the loader
before booting the kernel. Like:

	OK set hw.ata.ata_dma=0
	OK boot

This currently required on sparc64 and we may also need it on ia64.
It's pretty uncommon (from my perspective) to not have SCSI disks
on ia64, so it's definitely something that has gone unnoticed so far.

Note that it's equally possibly that whatever you have on your disk
is borked, so a fresh install with the tunable set to 0 may be
required...