Date:      Fri, 1 Sep 2000 22:13:02 +0700 (ALMST)
From:      Boris Popov <bp@butya.kz>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Shared kernel code

	Hello,

	Currently I'm preparing smbfs bits for import into main tree.
Since both nwfs and smbfs contains common parts I've tried to unify them
in order to share code. Currently there are two common parts: kernel side
of iconv library and encapsulation of mbuf management functions. Both can
be statically compiled in the kernel or loaded as KLDs.

	But there is an interesting question arises - where to put source
code for those modules which don't represent any device and may consists
from multiple source files ?

	Historically such files were placed in the kern and libkern
directories. But it seems that both aren't suitable for newly added
interfaces because of the flat name space. So, my suggestion is to create
sys/lib directory which should be organized as src/lib directory. Eg:

	sys/lib
		libiconv/
		libmbuf/
		etc...

	Basically, sys/libkern also can be moved under lib directory.

	Comments are welcome.

--
Boris Popov
http://www.butya.kz/~bp/