Date:      Fri, 5 Oct 2007 20:01:19 +0200
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Darren Reed <darrenr@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS kmem_map too small.

--CdrF4e02JqNVZeln

On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 02:48:07AM -0700, Darren Reed wrote:
> Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> > Hi.
> >=20
> > We'are about to branch RELENG_7 and I'd like to start discussion with
> > folks that experience 'kmem_map too small' panic with the latest HEAD.
> >=20
> > I'm trying hard to reproduce it and I can't, so I need to gather more
> > info how you are able to provoke this panic.
>=20
> Hmm, the first and only time it happened to me was when running cvsup
> on the rsync'd freebsd CVS tree after creating a snapshot of it.  I've
> repeated that exercise since (and many times before) with no problems.
>=20
> That was when I mistakingly had the ARC max set to be maybe 10MB or
> so smaller than the kmem_map size (this was a mistake.)  I've since
> grown that gap to 100MB.
>=20
> Tips on how to reproduce it?  Make the kmem_map size small and set the
> ARC's maximum size to be the same as it ? :)

I'm not really interested in fixing configuration bugs, although we
should do as much as we can to not allow bugus tunnings.

I'm most interested in 'kmem_map too small' panic with default
configuration, ie. no other changes than vm.kmem_size/vm.kmem_size_max.

--=20
pjd@FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org

--CdrF4e02JqNVZeln

--CdrF4e02JqNVZeln--