Date:      25 Apr 2001 18:17:51 -0400
From:      Chris Shenton <chris@shenton.org>
To:        mudman <mudman@R181204.resnet.ucsb.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: defaced websites and the like

mudman <mudman@R181204.resnet.ucsb.edu> writes:

> Are these kind of attacks on httpd itself (Apache or otherwise) or are
> said "hackers" (heh heh) breaking in through other channels or services?

Attacks can use many vectors including holes in a server itself, holes
in other services, holes in the OS, holes in the infrastructure
(e.g. hacking DNS then exploiting names which are "trusted"), or even
"social engineering" (call a sysadm up claiming to be a legit user who
forgot his password, etc).

When a hole is discovered -- whether it is in the OS, a major server
like a web server or a less common one like the recent NTP hole, or an
infrastrucuture service (like the recent BIND bug) -- the information
propagates quickly within the network community.  Good guys try to
protect themselves, bad guys try and exploit the problems. Sofware
exploit code is released in amazingly short time so you have to fix
any problems that are found regardless of where it is.  A good reason
to practice "security in depth", which I kinda associate with having
no system trust any other system/software any more than absolutely
necessary in case it gets hacked.

> Maybe as a good follow up, would using one OS over another OS change
> the risk assessment for this kind of thing? (although I admit this last
> question would take into account a lot of different variables)

I prefer software I can look at and determine its config, so I prefer
things like UNIX-style config files and command-line tools. I find it
very hard to tell the state of my system on a grope-n-poke OS likw
WinDoze.

I also belive Open Source allows many people to look for holes in the
software where proprietary relies on the discredited idea of
security-through-obscurity. Also, commercial vendors have more pressure to
release more features than to fix bugs.

A major factor which I am sure others will suggest is to use what you
know best. I can secure a FreeBSD, Solaris, or Irix system pretty
well. It would take me longer to secure   a Linux box cuz it's been a
while, and I'd be pathetic trying to secure a WinDoze box due to my
unfamiliarity at it (I don't know if it *is* possible to secure, and
certainly don't know how).

--Chris
  Anti-Hacking premiums 25% higher for Win NT: An insurance policy against
  hacker-inflicted damage costs 25 per cent more for companies using Windows
  NT.  This is because "there are so many security holes in Microsoft
  products", John Wurzler, of Wurzler underwriting managers, told us today.
  -- http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/8/18324.html