Date:      Sun, 8 Sep 2002 17:30:27 +0300
From:      Vasil Dimov <vd@etrade.bg>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, obrien@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bash directory completion annoyingly changes from 2.05a to 2.05b

after upgrading from 2.05a to 2.05b i noticed that directory completions
do not work as before and probably the new way is "wrong".

being in /usr/local/etc and desiring to run ./rc.d/030.apache.sh it is
usual to type:
/usr/local/etc# ./r<TAB>03<TAB>
but after the first <TAB> now (in 2.05b) i get
"./rc.d " instead of "./rc.d/" and i have to backspace and manually type
the slash:
/usr/local/etc# ./r<TAB><BACKSPACE>/03<TAB>
and i find that annoying, isn't it?
can it be changed with `set SOMETHING' or like?
i did not find anything about it.
-----
From: "Patrick O'Reilly" <bsd@perimeter.co.za>:

Experimenting, I found this:
/usr/local/etc# rc.<TAB>   ==>  rc.d/
/usr/local/etc# sh r<TAB>  ==>  sh rc.d/
/usr/local/etc# . r<TAB>   ==>  . rc.d/

So, it seems to me that when bash auto-completes the first token on the
line, it will omit the trailing / on directory names, but when it
autocompletes an argument (2nd or later token on the line) it includes the
trailing /.

These are my observations - I don't know whether this should be considered
RIGHT or WRONG?  Admittedly - I cannot think of any reason why one would
want to use a directory name as the first token on a line, so the
behaviour does seems strange.
-----
From: Phil Kernick <Phil@Kernick.org>

It's already been reported to the bash developers, and there is a patch.

Refer to: http://www.geocrawler.com/mail/msg.php3?msg_id=9514404&list=342

What this probably means is that 2.05b should not be included in the ports
collection that makes it into 4.7-RELEASE.