Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 2002 13:22:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Wayne Lubin <wayneclubin@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   make's default actions

Hi,

If you read the porters handbook it states that when
someone types "make" into a port directory make will
go in order to the following targets:

fetch, extract, patch, configure, build

This is refered to as make's default action. My
question is how is this acheived? Does freebsd use
some hached version of make?  This clearly is not
standard actions for the make utility. If I wanted to
do a software project of my own on freebsd not related
to the port collection or porting at all for that
matter, and wanted to use the make utility, would the
make program still go through this default action, and
if so, how do I turn it off. Thanks for your help.

Wayne