Date:      Tue, 06 Jan 1998 11:35:14 -0500
From:      dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        MegaFred <mfred@zen.triax.com>, "=?iso-8859-1?Q?=22Luis_E._Mu=F1oz=22?=" <lem@cantv.net>
Subject:   Re: ISP Conversion

At 10:02 PM 1/5/98 -0800, MegaFred wrote:
>> I've seen many people using sendpage... Haven't tried it myself, but
>> certainly will.
>
>Anyone know if it has TAP support?
>
>> (1) User request a given article from your news server
>> (2) news server reads the file from the NFS server
>> (3) news server replies to the client
>
>Well, I definately wouldn't save the new traffic on a centralized NFS
>server, just maybe the web pages, the user home directories, etc.  Is this
>still a flawed idea?
>
>> You also have all your eggs on a single basket; if one of your 4Gig
>> disks die, all of your services will go down though they might have
>> survived (you still have perfectly good servers).
>
>What about data mirroring?  I'm not sure of all the raid levels, what they
>mean and what they do, nor even what the terminology is, but what about
>12 hot-swappable 4-gig drives, 6 of which are live, the other 6 mirroring
>the previous ones?  That way, if one of the drives goes bad, the OS
>instantly starts using the 'replicated' drive, allowing you time to pull
>the bad one out, replace it, and put a new one in for a live drive.  Is
>there a term for this?  Is this common practice?  Is it feasable,
>cost-effective, or am I better off just going distributed?  My hopes in
>this was to avoid re-partitioning drive when the need for more space
>arrives.
>
>> It *might* be reliable enough. Computers are too complex for this.
>> For instance, you only need your HD for booting the OS. After this,
>> the HD becomes a critical point. If it fails, your router goes down.

Routers are computers...I hate to bust your bubble. You'll be spending
big bucks on higher end ciscos before you know it, so you might as
well get familiar with freebsd routers now. You might have to replace
the fan in your power supply once a year, but thats about it.

this is so silly. Please read http://www.etinc.com/routers.htm  for the other
side of this ridiculous set of arguments.

>> If you're under a cost constraint, try to get a few used Cisco 2501.
>> They're *much* more reliable than servers for this job (in my opinion

And why do you think there are so many used ciscos for sale? :-)

Dennis