Date:      Sun, 03 Jun 2012 19:54:46 -0600
From:      Janketh Jay <jankyj@unfs.us>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD?

Hi Erich,

On 06/03/2012 06:56 PM, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 03 June 2012 PM 5:33:16 Janketh Jay wrote:
>>
>> Hi Erich,
>>
>> FreeBSD is in no way intended to be used by computer newcomers.
>> If they're comfortable with Windows, then they should use it. If
>> someone wants to try using FreeBSD and runs into issues, that is
>> what the forums, mailing lists, FreeBSD Handbook, and many other
>> resources are for.
>>
> a person who operated Windows for some years does not see
> him/herself as a newcomer but still fails on FreeBSD. The word goes
> around then that FreeBSD is bad.

	This is fine, actually. As mentioned, it's not intended for
individuals that want everything handed to them on a silver platter.
Anyone who labels FreeBSD as "bad" because they aren't familiar with
it is an idiot, IMO. This isn't Microsoft, no matter how much people
might want it to be. And, it never will be. Use this list if you have
questions about ports. Is that really so difficult for people to do?
If so, no big deal. The FreeBSD developers, contributors and
maintainers are not here to hold people's hands. We're here to help
people help themselves...

>> That being said, there is no reason for FreeBSD to be more
>> user-friendly when it comes to installing older ports. That just
>> sounds ridiculous in itself. If someone wants to use an older
>> port, they can download it manually or using something like
>> "portdowngrade". Of course, this becomes a serious security risk
>> (depending on the port) but FreeBSD will still "allow" anyone to
>> do this. If this simply isn't good enough, then perhaps the user
>> should think about trying to use a different OS.
>>
> You are really working hard to keep the FreeBSD installations low.
> It does not help FreeBSD if it is believed to be an elite operating
> system.
>
> Linux is by no way less complex and still many more people us it.
>
> Why?

	FreeBSD *IS* an elite operating system. By "elite" I don't mean what
most people will think I mean. I'm simply stating that it takes a
reasonable amount of time to grow comfortable with it. Along with any
"UNIX-like" OS. If it were really simple to use, everyone would be
using it, right?

	And Linux, as far as I'm concerned is more complex than FreeBSD.
Especially it's package management. I don't like the idea of having no
choices when I install an application. Of course, I could go WAY out
of my way to create, build, and install an SRPM, but bugger that! It's
not easy! Linux is only thought of as easy because of the graphical
installer and the fact that it installs X out of the box. FreeBSD used
to do that, actually. Back in the 4.X days you could choose to install
XFree86 and KDE, Gnome, etc... But, that was a waste of valuable disk
space in the long run.

Regards,
Janky Jay, III