Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 1997 14:16:13 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@it.hq.nasa.gov>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   migrating 2.1.7 -> 2.2: simple or hairy?

We've got a number of boxes running 2.1.7 and want to migrate to 2.2;
is it easy or hard?

Ideally I could do:

	mv /usr/src /usr/src.old
	cvsup <whatever>-supfile	[whatever's appropriate for 2.2]
	cd /usr/src
	make world
	make install

In the past, I've had problems trying to do this: libraries became out
of sync and the make, cc, and other failed, leaving me with an
unusable system.

Also, which cvsup files are appropriate? I've been tracking 'stable',
which gives me 2.1.7. Does 'current' give me 2.2 or 3.0? Which would
be appropriate?

Any other pointers, like maybe building in a separate /usr/src-new
tree?

Thanks.