Date:      Fri, 21 Aug 1998 22:42:46 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VT320 terminal connection problems

Gregory Sutter wrote:

> I've got a genuine DEC VT320 that I'm trying to hook up to a FreeBSD
> box.  I've got the MMJ to 25-pin serial connector, so the physical
> connection is no problem, but I can't get any communication between
> the FreeBSD box and the VT.
>
> I've edited /etc/ttys and inserted an entry for ttyd1 (and I've tried
> ttyd0 too):
>
> ttyd1   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   on secure

Hi,

I've had one of these working with 2.2.2-RELEASE before... I seem to remember
the problem was handshaking... I also seem to remember resorting to using the
device on /dev/cuaaX rather than /dev/ttydX...

Make sure your cable is wired properly... As a last resort try reversing pins 2
and 3, and the handshaking pins (these depend on whether your using DB9 or DB25
at the PC end)...

I've been thinking of dragging the old DEC VT320 out the cupboard again, simply
because of the fact a serial line to our FreeBSD boxes crashes less often than a
WinNT/95 box running telnet ;-)  I also seem to remember the ESC key remaps as
something weird like CTRL-3 unless your careful ;-)

Regards,

Karl Pielorz