Date:      Sun, 9 Sep 2012 20:16:08 -0700
From:      Tim Kientzle <kientzle@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: -current on BeableBone successful

On Sep 9, 2012, at 6:48 PM, John-Mark Gurney wrote:

> Well, I have successfully booted FreeBSD-current on the BeagleBone:
> FreeBSD beaglebone 10.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT #0 r240251: Wed =
Nov  2 14:26:08 PDT 2011     =
jmg@pcbsd-779:/usr/obj/arm.armv6/usr/src.HEAD/sys/BEAGLEBONE  arm
>=20
> Though there are a few issues...  I'm using Kientzle's script to build
> the bootable image, so one is related to his script, and the others =
are
> more generic issues..
>=20
> The first off is that for some reason, the uenv.txt file doesn't =
load..
> I'm not sure what is wrong, but if I type in:
> fatload mmc 0:1 0x88000000 ubldr;bootelf 0x88000000

I just ran into this myself.  I think the Arago sources
broke environment loading.

I started to debug the Arago U-Boot build this weekend
but decided it would likely be more productive to switch
to using the Denx sources.  Denx publishes periodic
snapshots which should make things a little more stable.

> manually, it boots fine...
>=20
> The second is that it looks like we have some left over debugging in
> SIOC[SG]IFMEDIA that we need to remove, and a fall through comment =
that
> doesn't look like it is applicable any more... Should I just remove
> these?

The cpsw driver still needs work.   I've fixed a couple of problems, but =
there are some deeper issues:
  * Under memory pressure, the rx handler populates the receive buffer =
list with NULLs then panics when it tries to process them.
  * I've seen the driver stall repeatedly; I'm not sure why yet but I =
suspect the driver is mis-handling queue restarts.
  * The driver doesn't detach properly (which results in panics if you =
build the driver as a module and try to unload it)

> Third is that I get this error:
> ip length 328 disagrees with bytes received 330.
> accepting packet with data after udp payload.
>=20
> This appeard to be from sbin/dhclient/packet.c...  Not sure exactly =
why
> we are returning a large packet to userland=85

I haven't seen this one.

> Thanks for the work.  In a couple days, I'll figure out how well the
> VLANs work on this system.
>=20
> Thanks to Tim for his script that made building the image really easy,
> and to the others for getting this working!

Here are my priorities for the BeagleBone, in roughly this order:
  * Fix the cpsw Ethernet driver
  * Get buildworld/buildkernel working correctly natively.  (30+ hour =
builds make this tedious to test; last time I tested the builds =
completed but installing world crashed things badly)
  * Work on performance for the MMC driver
  * USB host driver

Apart from Ethernet-related panics, the system has
been remarkably stable.  I've been building ports and
otherwise hammering the system for days on end without
any apparent ill effects.

Tim