Date:      Mon, 3 Sep 2001 00:38:29 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 2.2.8 -> 4.3 upgrade

At 19:46 -0700 9/2/01, Chad R. Larson wrote:
>I'm about to bite the bullet and upgrade my old reliable server from
>2.2.8-STABLE to 4.3-RELEASE.  Biggest incentive is the increasing
>number of ports that won't build without hand-holding and desire to
>support the Ricoh MP7040S SCSI CD-ROM burner I bought for it without
>doing the basic research to realize the WORM dirvers wouldn't
>recognize it.  Silly me, I thought SCSI burners would be as
>interchangeable as SCSI disks and CD-ROM drives.
>
>I worked my way through the steps of doing the source upgrade (which
>includes stops along the way at 3.5.1 and 4.1, as best I can tell)
>and decided it would be easier to try to make one large leap.
>
>So, I'm planning on:
>   1)  Full backup (maybe several :->)
>   2)  Boot 4.3-RELEASE CDs and select "Upgrade" (kernel and binaries
>       only)
>   3)  Mergemaster
>   4)  CVS update /usr/src to RELENG_4_3
>   5)  make buildworld
>   6)  make installworld
>   7)  reboot
>
>If that leaves me with a running machine, then I'll
>
>   1)  Mergemaster
>   2)  make buildkernel (GENERIC)
>   3)  make installkernel (GENERIC)
>   4)  reboot
>
>If I'm =still= alive, I'll edit up a custom kernel config file and
>have another go.

The UPDATING file in 4.3 suggests a slightly different order:

   1)  Full backup (maybe several :->)

   2)  Boot 4.3-RELEASE CDs and select "Upgrade" (kernel and binaries
and source)

   3)  reboot

   4)  make buildworld

   5)  make buildkernel

   6)  make installkernel

   7)  reboot  - There will be some problems getting the kernel
running as the conf files have not been updated.  Booting single-user
may reduce these problems.

   8)  make installworld

   9)  Mergemaster  - There have been numerous changes to the conf
file structures and commands.  This will not be easy.  - Fix
/etc/fstab as device names have changed.

  10) reboot again and watch carefully for errors.

I used that procedure to convert a test system first from 2.2.8 to
3.5 and then later to 4.3.  I only installed source on that test
system.  My production systems were converted by steps
2,3,5,6,7,8,9,10.  I did all the build kernels on the test system.  I
then NFS mounted /usr/src /usr/obj and /usr/ports from the test
system on the production systems.  Your ports should be updated also.
I had problems with some not running properly after converting to 3.5
and just upgraded every one.  That solved the problems.
--
-- Doug