Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 20:31:00 -0600
From:      Don Read <sysop@calcasieu.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Security question

(missed the cc, sorry)

>Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 20:30:00 -0600
>To: Alan Weber <aaweber@austin.rr.com>
>From: Don Read <sysop@calcasieu.com>
>Subject: Re: Security question
Thu, Feb 25, 1999 at 04:26:36PM -0800>
<913B8C252194D2119BD500805F3181789704F6@za12nt02.mweb.com>
<19990225162636.A46163@wopr.caltech.edu>

>back on 07:59 PM 2/25/99 -0600, you said:
>>On Thu, Feb 25, 1999 at 04:26:36PM -0800, Matthew Hunt wrote:
>>--> On Thu, Feb 25, 1999 at 09:23:03PM +0200, Langa Kentane wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>>--> > lockout an account after a certain number of unsuccessful logons.
>>-->
>>--> I don't know offhand how to do that, but one thing to keep in
>>--> mind is that if you lock out a user because of too many unsuccessful
>>--> logins, then anybody can deny service to one of your users by
>>--> logging in unsuccessfully.
>
><snip again>
>

>>              I would prefer to have the system insert an increasing
delay that grows to 60 seconds or some configurable value with a decay to
zero after a while. I still think that having a secure cryptic password
should be adequate. One useful feature would be to add password policies to
FreeBSD. Min length/format/etc.

--
Don Read                               sysop@calcasieu.com
EDP Manager                                dread@texas.net