Date:      Tue, 23 Jul 2002 20:09:15 +0100 (BST)
From:      Andrew Back <andrew@unfortu.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   PCI -> PCMCIA Adapter woes.

Hi,

I recently purchased an Orinoco Silver Card along with a PCI -> PCMCIA
adapter, an Elan P111 (TI Bridge?). The system is FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE,
clean install from CD. Kernel and rc.conf etc configured for pccard.

I don't think the hardware is at fault since it works under Linux. I have
also tried installing different PC cards, none of which were recognised.

I tried adding the following to /boot/loader.conf :

hw.pcic.intr_path="1"
hw.pcic.irq="0"

Without the above changes to loader.conf nothing happens on card
insertion, with it you get a 'beep' and message the card hasn't been
recognised.

I also tried setting different addresses with 'pccardc pccardmem'. And
'pccardc dumpcis' doesn't show much.

Although I am a little confused over IRQs. Should I configure one in bios
not to be used for PCI and reserved for ISA? And then hardwire the card to
that also? Does the adapter/bridge need an IRQ? I read somewhere that with
one you get much better performance.

I also read somewhere that the I/O address for the wi card is wrong by
default and that you need to either set the card or modify the kernel
default and recompile.

I have to say I am a bit confused!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards,