Date:      Mon, 23 Aug 1999 11:33:14 +1000 (EST)
From:      Carl Makin <carl@xena.aipo.gov.au>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: questions-digest V4 #1083

This is being typed on a Dell PowerEdge 2300, dual PIII 450s running
3.2-STABLE and we have 3 other 4300s running FreeBSD as well.

> John Lengeling wrote:
>
> > I wish the other respondants were more accurate with their answers...
> > FreeBSD will run the Dell PowerEdges, but...

> > Here is my experience with PowerEdge 1300s.

> > 1. Need at least FreeBSD 3.X to get support for the Adaptec onboard SCSI
> > controller. AIC 7890.   6350s have the same onboard controller.

The AIC7890 is supported by the AHC driver.

> > 2. FreeBSD does not support the RAID controller that Dell sells.  The
> > PERC2 RAID controller.

True.  Dell told us that they were willing to write a driver for it but
haven't got back to us yet.  I have one of those controllers in this box
sitting idle waiting for that driver.

> > 3. I couldn't get the Sony CDROM drive to work under FreeBSD 3.1.  I
> > haven't tried it under 3.2.  Most people just installed some other CDROM
> > drive to get around the problem.

Our boxes came with NEC CDROMS.

The onboard ATI Rage adaptor has a crappy 2Mb ram so I fitted a PCI Matrox
G200 as well.

Carl.
(Please cc me directly on any replies as I don't always get time to scan
the questions digest.)