Date:      Tue, 03 Sep 1996 12:05:50 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Developer <dev@fgate.flevel.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HELP URGENT!!!

Developer wrote:

> Please can someone suggest what to do... our BSD 2.2 server crashed and
> when we re-booted we get this error as soon as fsck kicks in:-
>
> Debugger("sd")
> Stopped at _Debugger+0x26: movb $0,_in_Debugger.116
> db>
>
> If I then type cont I get:
>
> Can't open /dev/rsd2a Device not configured.
>
> In /var/log/messages there is this error:-
>
> /kernel: sd2: Can't deal with 767 bytes logical blocks
this message doesn't come from the label, but from the disk driver
when it asks the drive how it is formatted..
        /*
         * Load the physical device parameters
         */
        sd_get_parms(unit, 0);  /* sets SDEV_MEDIA_LOADED */
        if (sd->params.secsiz != SECSIZE) {     /* XXX One day... */
                printf("sd%ld: Can't deal with %d bytes logical
blocks\n",
                    unit, sd->params.secsiz);
                Debugger("sd");

here is the debugger call.. the original intention is to let you
examine the results from the sd_get_params call
                errcode = ENXIO;
                goto bad;
        }

Your disk has been "partially reformetted"
OR
it's gone crazy
OR
sd_get_parms(unit,0)
is returning garbage (probably also due to a mad disk)

> Seems like the disklabel is dodgy :(

nope.. see above..

> Any ideas how to fix it? It's desperate??

compile a kernel with the SCSIDEBUG
then after booting do:
scsi -d 15 -f /dev/rsd2.ctl
this will turn on TONS of debugging
if it's too  much -d 1 might be better

this should give you the results of all operations affecting
that device...

julian
in the mean-while
don't write to that device (not that it'll let you :)

get a new disk?