Date:      Fri, 06 Feb 2004 16:04:50 +0100
From:      "Devon H. O'Dell" <dodell@sitetronics.com>
To:        "Gogh, Ruben van" <R.v.Gogh@kappe-int.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-security@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT becomes default to deny

Gogh, Ruben van wrote:

> Hey Guys,
>
> today I upgraded to 4.8-RELEASE-p15. As usual I set IPFIREWALL to default
> accept in my kernel config file.
> Config & make weren't complaining so, installed the kernel, reboot and there
> it was:
>
>>IP packet filtering initialized, divert disabled, rule-based forwarding
>
> enabled, default to deny, logging disabled
>
> Another rebuild didn't work out so... I reviewed /usr/src/UPDATING but
> there's no such thing as dropping IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT.
>
> So, is this a true bug or what?
>
> Regards,
>
> Ruben

I'm not sure what to make of this as IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT works fine
for me in 4.8, 4.9, 5.1 and 5.2. Are you sure you compiled with the correct
kernel configuration (and installed as well)?

Additionally, you might like to look into setting firewall_enable="YES" and
firewall_type="open" in rc.conf

Kind regards,

Devon H. O'Dell