Date:      Thu, 15 Dec 2005 11:25:32 +0000
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        Erik Norgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiboot SATA/PATA (changed subject)

Erik Norgaard wrote:

> Andrew Falanga wrote:
>
>> I'm new to FreeBSD but not to UNIX.  The guy who burned me the 6.0
>> release iso's told me that during the install, FreeBSD would detect
>> my Windows XP drive but it didn't.  I have two hard drives, one for
>> FreeBSD one for Windows.  The FreeBSD drive is SATA and the Windows
>> is PATA (IDE, but I'm sure you all knew that).
>

> I have the same or similar problem, only that both my hard drives are
> SATA: (dmesg)
>
> ad4: 38146MB <WDC WD400BD-75JMA0 05.01C05> at ata2-master SATA150
> ad5: 38146MB <WDC WD400BD-75LRA0 09.01D09> at ata2-slave SATA150
> Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad4s1a
>
> The boot loader gives me two options F1 FreeBSD and F5 Unknown but
> chosing either will boot FreeBSD?

F5 is "next disk".  There are only 4 slices that FreeBSD can
theoretically boot from (F1-F4) and F5 moves you on to whatever the next
disk is (and on the last disk moves you back to the first).  I suggest
that F5 is actually doing nothing, and that the loader just times out
and boots from the FreeBSD disk, probably because you have not installed
the FreeBSD boot loader on the Windows disk.

--Alex