Date:      Sat, 31 May 1997 07:44:42 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Audio devices

Chuck Robey:
 |Does anyone know what the absolute reference is for the major and minor
 |numbers for the audio devices, like /dev/audio, dsp, dsp0, midi, music, etc?
 |
 |I am not looking for the numbers, I can go do an ls -l of my /dev for
 |that.  I'm trying to find the definitive guide for them.  If I can get a

     Well, this may or may not be acclaimed as the definitive guide
anymore, but I have a PostScript copy of Hannu Savolainen's "Hacker's Guide
to VoxWare 2.4, second draft" that has this table and subsequent text:

          Device   Minor Multi
          mixer      0    yes
          sequencer  1    no
          midi       2    yes
          dsp        3    yes
          audio      4    yes
          dsp16      5    yes
          sndstat    6    no
          (unused)   7    no
          sequencer2 8    no

          Table 0.1: Minor number assignment of the device files

          The minor number assign ment is given in the table 0.1. The four
          least significant bits of the minor number are used to select the
          device file type or class. If there is more than one devices in
          this class, the upper 4 bits are used to select the device. For
          example the class number of the /dev/dsp is 3. Then the minor
          number of /dev/dsp is 3 + 16 * 0 = 3 and the /dev/dsp1 is 3 + 16
          * 1 = 19.

Seeing as how our Voxware drivers are dated May 6, 1995, and the docs are
dated Feb 21, 1994 and describe features up-and-coming for 3.0, it makes
sense that this is a close match.

BTW, it holds for my card (Sound Blaster 32), except that sequencer2 is
called music0, and there's and extra pss0 on minor 9.

Randall