Date:      Sun, 11 Jun 2000 17:25:53 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Rick Knebel <rknebel@uplink.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: computer without a monitor

* Rick Knebel <rknebel@uplink.net> [000611 14:44] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What I want to accomplish is to have my old Pentium 120 with freebsd
> 4.0 be the server and route to the internet for my other three
> computers in the house.
> I do not want to have a seperate monitor, keyboard and mouse
> associated with this computer.
>
> Any idea's on the best way to accomplish this.
>
> I realize that I would have to have these things attached to set it
> up, but after that I just want the server to run without the monitor
> attached.
>
> I guess the problem happens when i need to do maintenence.

Not true. :)

Just get a null modem cable and turn the machine on to do the install
without a keyboard plugged in, the machine should boot up with the
installer coming up over the first serial line.

You can use something like hyperterminal on windows to talk to the box,
just make sure that you edit /etc/ttys and turn on the line for the
serial line so you can log in later.