Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2001 13:14:37 -0400
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        stanb@panix.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable List <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Downgrading from 4,3 RC -> 4,2 ? How to.

stanb@panix.com wrote:

> OK, I give uo, I absolutely have to get some real work done, and no one
> seems to beable to offer any useful advice as to why my laptop insists on
> reasigning previously used IRQ 10 to cards n slot 0.
>
> So, I need to downgrade to 4.2 which at least wroks.
>
> Here is the scenario. I have a level 0 backup of all partitions pre backup,
> but it's on an Amanda server, that I can only reach over the network, catch
> 22 I can't make the network work now. I don't have 4.3 CD's, since my
> subscription got **d up by the new company, and I never recieved the,
>
> I do have 4.2 CD's.
>
> How can I get out of this mess?

You can't just wipe the 4.3 install, use your 4.2 CD to do a Fresh
install, get
the network working (I'm assuming the network isn't working because of
the IRQ
issue), and dump your backups onto the fresh 4.2 install?

It's not a pretty solution, but it should get you working again.

--
  \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
 |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer